Penfield Coat (wearing a small), Hatch Collection Sweater (wearing size 1), Isabel Maternity Jeans, Hunter Boots“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”
I don’t know who said this but it is so true. It really is the best month! Our days are starting to cool down and I can’t help but start to feel that holiday excitement. Not to get ahead of myself but we are taking full advantage of the fall season around here.
Last weekend we visited my family’s home in Wisconsin and the colors were just starting to turn. Webster is always in heaven as we walk around the lake. We visited an apple orchard, took Charlie to a corn maize, made homemade soup, sat by the fire, finally busted out the cozy socks and went for a hike in the woods. It was very quintessential fall and I loved it.
I got so many questions about this outfit! My sweater is by one of my favorite maternity brands, HATCH Collection, but I actually wear them whether I’m pregnant or not. They promise that you can wear their pieces before, during and after pregnancy (they really aren’t made to look maternity – meaning no extra paneling) and these overalls and this sweater are new favorites. I threw on my newest coat purchase – this Penfield jacket – which I also own in black but it’s such a good one! It is light but very warm and I love the plaid lining. Plus, my trusty Hunter boots. I swear these are the only shoes I wear when I’m up north.
My Favorite Ways to Get in the Fall Spirit
- Plan a fall weekend away. If you live in Chicago, there are so many pretty spots in both Wisconsin and Michigan! I would look into Lake Geneva, WI or New Buffalo, MI for a quick trip. The American Club at Kohler in Wisconsin is also beautiful this time of year!
- Make a fall soup. I’m recently obsessed with Half Baked Harvest (thanks to my sister!) and plan on making this and this soon.
- Buy some fall candles. We actually did a roundup of our favorites here, in case you missed it!
- Plan some fun fall activities for you and your family. Next weekend we are going to Boo at the Zoo! with our friends. Last weekend we went to Harvest Time Orchards in Wisconsin. Bengston’s Pumpkin Farm is also a Chicago must-visit.
- Invest in a new coat. I swear this gets me so excited for cooler temps! I blogged about my favorite coats for fall here and I ended up purchasing this Penfield coat from Madewell (I’m wearing a small). It also comes in black, which I also own – this is the best coat!, seen here.
- Indulge in your favorite fall coffee drink. What’s your go-to? I am not a fan of pumpkin spice lattes (too sugary for me) but I do love a chai tea latte with almond milk. Mmmm!
- Start purchasing some fall decor for your home. Guys, I am going for it. I just bought this plaid throw, this star garland for our fireplace for Christmas (I’m getting ahead of myself), these tartan napkins for our table, these mini boxwood wreaths for our front windows and these cute little pumpkin votives (we have the bigger size on our front porch!).
- Listen to a fall playlist! I put together a few of my favorites when it comes to rolling down the windows and enjoying the crisp, fall air.
You can check out the Spotify playlist here!